Scope of FOIS – Topics of Interest
We seek high-quality papers on a wide range of topics. Concerning scope, an ideal FOIS paper will address both content-related ontological issues and their formal modeling, as well as their impact and relevance for some aspects of information systems.
++++ NOTE: abstract submission deadline: 13 April, full paper 25 April ++++
++++ Easychair submission page: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fois2018 ++++
Areas of particular interest to the conference include the following:
- Kinds of entities: particulars/universals, continuants/occurrents, abstracta/concreta, dependent entities/independent entities, natural objects/artifacts
- Formal relations: parthood, identity, connection, dependence, constitution, causality, subsumption, instantiation
- Vagueness and granularity
- Space, time, and change
- Top-level vs. domain-specific ontologies
- Role of reference ontologies
- Ontology integration and alignment
- Formal comparison among ontologies
- Relationship with cognition, language, semantics, context
- Ontology of physical reality (matter, space, time, motion etc.)
- Ontology of biological reality (organisms, genes, proteins, cells etc.)
- Ontology of mental reality and agency (beliefs, intentions, emotions, perceptions etc.)
- Ontology of artifacts, functions, capacities and roles
- Ontology of social reality (institutions, organizations, norms, social relationships, artistic expressions etc.)
- Ontology-driven information systems design
- Ontological foundations for conceptual modeling
- Knowledge management
- Qualitative modeling
- Computational linguistics
- Information retrieval
- Semantic Web, Web services
- Business modeling
- Ontologies for particular scientific disciplines (biology, chemistry, geography, physics, cognitive sciences, linguistics etc.)
- Ontologies for engineering: shape, form and function, artifacts, manufacturing, design, architecture etc.
- Ontologies for the humanities: arts, cultural studies, history, law, literature, philosophy etc.
Submitted papers must not exceed 14 pages (including the bibliography) and must include an abstract of no more than 300 words. Papers should be submitted non-anonymously in PDF format following IOS Press formatting guidelines.
The Easychair submission page can be found at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fois2018
The proceedings will be published by IOS Press in electronic format with permanent open access.